Friday, July 27, 2007

Can The Simpsons improve your mental health?

I was researching connections between The Simpsons and health for today's blog post on The Healia Blog, and I ran across this story:

Simply acknowledging mental health on such a popular television show might help 'normalise' the illnesses, say Australian trainee psychiatrist Dr Hannah Mendelson and director/cinematographer Gil Poznanski from Melbourne.
This idea is not without its detractors, however.

I'm not sure what to think about this question. On the one hand, if something is suppressed and kept under the carpet, there's an argument for bringing it out into the light. On the other hand, it's possible to go too far and make people feel belittled. Has The Simpsons done that? I don't think so.

After reading about the brilliant marketing campaign over the past few weeks (The Seattle Kwik-E-Mart is a sight to behold), I'm looking forward to watching the movie and seeing if it lives up to the hype.

Tags:

6 comments:

kegler747 said...

As a Simpsons fan I like this article :)

RollerKaty said...

Adam and Brendan went to the Kwik-E-Mart in Seattle this weekend and bought squishees. The marketing campaign must be working because they reported that it was very crowded with folks who, just like them, wanted check out the Kwik-e-mart and buy squishees.

Here is a cute picture of Brendan posing with Apu.

Jonathan said...

Kegler - thanks!

Katy - great picture of Brendan! :)

Anonymous said...

I definitely think 7-Eleven made a smart move with the Kwik-E-Mart promotion and am ashamed that I haven't gone downtown to bask in all its glory (I have driven by it.) I was just checking out 7-Eleven's Wikipedia page and they claim that the transformed stores have earned 30% higher profits since the promotion began. I have also heard that there is only one more week of the promotion left, which I find odd with the movie still hot in the theaters and the increased profits (I have a hunch we will see them around a bit longer.)

Jonathan said...

Hey Paul, that would indeed be odd if they stopped the Kwik-E-Mart promotion so soon. I'll be curious to see how long they keep it going.

Anonymous said...

I always heard something from my neighbor that he sometimes goes to the internet bar to play the game which will use him some habbo credits,he usually can win a lot of habbo gold,then he let his friends all have some habbo coins,his friends thank him very much for introducing them the cheap habbo credits,they usually buy habbo gold together.
I am so happy to get some hero gold and the hero online gold is given by my close friend who tells me that the hero online money is the basis to enter into the game. Therefore, I should buy hero gold with the spare money and I gain some hero money from other players.