Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Happy Harry Potter weekend

Requisite note: no spoilers here!

Prior to this past weekend -- Harry Potter Weekend, truly an international event -- I hadn't read any of the Harry Potter books.

Now that the weekend's over, I've read fifty or so pages from the latest Harry Potter book. I was reading over the shoulder of a friend of mine, and I began to get a sense of what all the fuss is about. It's definitely an enjoyable read.

My friend and I had been at the Harry Potter release party at University Bookstore on Friday night. I wasn't surprised by the throngs of kids in costume -- no, it was all the costumed adults, all quite earnest, who threw me for a loop. There was even a band there, playing Harry Potter-themed music and shouting out the countdown to midnight after every song. We'd had a few drinks beforehand, so it was all pretty amusing.

Is this the biggest book event ever? Perhaps. I heard on a recent WSJ podcast that this was the biggest single product distribution for Amazon.com. Certainly, a whole lot of trees went into this. Yesterday evening, it seemed like half the people in my bus were intently perusing their copies.

Tags:

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, you have good PR, why don't you join dofollow wagon of webmasters and bloggers.

Freddie L Sirmans, Sr. said...

Just browsing the internet, very, very interesting blog.

Anonymous said...

hi, at Malaysia, there are also hits on Harry Potter books...

Jonathan said...

Life is colourful: Thanks, but I don't know what you're referring to.

Freddie: Thanks!

Keeyit: Interesting...Harry Potter is everywhere!