Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Gmail ads: worthy of discussion?

If you have a Gmail account, you've doubtless become accustomed to the Gmail text ads that appear in the right-hand column. For me, the novelty hasn't worn off: I continue to find those ads fascinating. It's interesting to see how closely the ads relate to the content of my email discussion. Sometimes the ads are right on target; other times, they're about something completely different.

Also, I find it interesting how sometimes my ads are different than those of my email correspondent's. For example, a recent email thread with my girlfriend included the word "Ulysses" (the name of one of her new pet rats) and a few references to the show Lost. My ads were all about Lost; my girlfriend's ads were about James Joyce.

How do I know this? Because we discuss what our ads are about! I'm sure Google would be thrilled that we have such an active interest in our ads. I wonder: does this make us bizarre? Does anyone else actually go so far as to talk about their Gmail ads?

Do you ever discuss Gmail ads?
Yes...I'm weird that way, too!
No. I notice them but don't discuss them.
I don't even notice the ads.
I don't use Gmail.
  
Free polls from Pollhost.com



I'll post poll results in a few days!

Tags:

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Personally, I'm always fascinated by the Google ads when I check my Spam folder. Invariably, I get an ad for spam casserole recipes.

-Doug